Afraid of getting their weight increase, some people, especially women decide to go on diet. Their choose to go on diet is caused by their want of having a slim body. However, some might get into trouble on diet for having an unhealthy diet. Unhealthy diet might also lead people to have an eating disorder. This eating disorder, which is commonly known divided into two types: anorexia nervousa and bullimia , mostly happen to women, especially the young ones. No need to wonder about that fact since it is a common knowledge that women can be classified as a beautiful ones if they have a slim body. As the result, they are afraid of having their weight increase and start in having diet. In fact, suffered from eating disorder (both anorexia nervousa and bullimia) might cause some dangerous effects as listed below:
- As their weight decrease, people suffered from eating disorder (especially anorexia nervousa ) will lose their fat. That caused some activities, such as sitting and lying, become not convenient. Then they will feel some pain in their body as the result of those activities. Even sleeping will become a hard activity for those who suffered from anorexia nervousa since they will get some pain as the result of lying.
- Peolpe suffered from anorexia nervousa will have their blood pressure decrease. As the result, they will often get head-ache. Not only that, anorexia nervousa might also cause cold (caused by the loss of body fat), constipation, fatigue, and swelling of joints. It might also lead people to heart disease.
- Anorexia nervouse will cause women in getting no menstruation anymore. For girls who net yet get menstruation, it cause them getting no menstruation at all. On the other hand, bullimia will cause irregularity of women menstruation period.
- The thyroid gland that regulates growth gradually disappears. As the result, people who suffered from anorexia nervouse will have dry skin and others effects which lead to aging.
- People suffered from eating disorder will find their cognitive ability decrease.
- Having eating disorder might also cause diseases dealing with digestion system.
- People with bullimia will get their gums and tooth enamel damaged. Both are caused by the acid coming out with vomiting.
- Both anorexia nervousa and bullimia might lead into complication of some diseases. The worst effect of suffered from eating disorder is death.
Above are biological and physical effects of eating disorder. Beside them, there are some psychological effects of eating disorder, such as:
- People suffered from eating disorder might consider themselves worthless.
- People suffered from eating disorder will be sensitive.
- People suffered from eating disorder will lose their interest in socializing with people.
People suffered from eating disorder will feel insecure and awkward in dealing with the crowds.
Take a Closer Look at Anorexia Nervosa
Anorexia or anorexia nervosa is a potential life-threatening disorder caused by starvation and drastic weight loss. Someone can be diagnosed having anorexia nervosa if that person lost at least 15 percent of normal or ideal body weight. This extreme weight loss is very dangerous for your health . Even it can cause death.
The term anorexia literary means loss of appetite. However, that definition is actually misleading. If you are suffered from anorexia, actually you are hungry. You just refuse to eat . People with anorexia are very afraid of getting fat. That fear leads someone to take less food or even to take no food at all. They will also do some exercises to lose some weight. Suffered from anorexia will make you consider yourself as a fat person though, in fact, you are not. People with anorexia are hard to consider themselves as slim enough. They might keep playing statement like “I’m fat” in their mind. Acting that way, anorexic people will get a very skin body.
Anorexia is commonly experienced by women, especially those who work as entertainer, such as actress, model, and dancer. They are generally afraid to look fat due to the demands of their profession that concerned with body appearance. Young women are also really potential to be suffered from anorexia. Since adolescence is a stage of human life in where people think that a good appearance is very important, many youngsters will try everything in order to get that good appearance. Doing a strict diet that might be lead them to anorexia nervosa might be one of their efforts.
The exact causes of anorexia are still unknown. However, some suspect that the combination of personal characters, emotional life, hormonal changes, and lifestyle are the causes of anorexia. It is also stated that genetic factor also take a role in causing anorexia. If you have a family member suffered from anorexia, you are also potential in facing anorexia.
Although the exact causes of anorexia are still unknown, from some causes mentioned above, it can be classified that anorexia is caused by both biological and psychological things. So, both physical and psychological treatment needed to cure anorexia nervosa . Below are the explanations of suggested way to cure anorexia :
Since anorexia nervosa is commonly dealing with depression, this disorder can be treated the using of some antidepressants. Those antidepressants will reduce anorexics’ disorder towards foods and eating. However, biological treatment is not very successful in reducing the symptoms of anorexia disorder in anorexics.
As stated before, anorexia is closely related to one’s psychological condition. Therefore, psychological treatment is needed to cure anorexics. A common anorexia psychological treatment will have 2 stages. The first one is a stage of helping patient to gain some weights in order to prevent medical complications and possible death. This stage is really potential in gaining some weights faster. The second one is a stage of helping patient to manage their weights and to control her/his self suffered from anorexia nervosa.
Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia, Similar but Not Identical
Ever heard about anorexia nervosa and bulimia ? Yes, both are eating-disorders! As eating disorder , both are similar for making people have a weight-phobia. Though similar, both are not identical. Anorexia and bulimia are having their own characteristics which make them different. If anorexia is an eating-disorder in which people are afraid to take meals, bulimia is an eating-disorder in which people are still take their meals but then do any efforts to spew them all. Difference between them makes the physical appearance of people suffered from anorexia and bulimia different. Anorexics will have a very thin body. On contrary, people suffered from bulimia might have a normal body.
Anorexia and bulimia are commonly considered as psychological illness. It is because people with anorexia and bulimia tend to blame themselves for eating, especially when they eat too much.
As stated above, bulimics usually have a normal weight, taking for example Princess Diana and Christina Aguilera who are dealing with bulimia). Bulimics are having a huge appetite and consuming many foods. However, since they are afraid of getting a fat body, they will do any efforts to keep their body in a normal weight. Then they will do some inappropriate acts like spew what they have eaten. Their acts leaded by their guilty of taking meals and their fear of getting “not-a-good-looking” body. In general it can be stated that bulimics are feeling not enough with their body for having lack of self-esteem.
Spewing foods over and over again can cause skin irritation around the mouth due to frequent contact with the substance of stomach acid. It can also cause tooth decay, cavities, and prolonged abdominal pain. Other effects of bulimia are heart-defect, dehydration, kidney damage, decreased muscles cells in the body, until a sudden death.
There still some debates about the exact cause of anorexia. Some mentioned that anorexia caused by malfunction of the hypothalamus gland in the brain, which is responsible to manage appetite. Others stated that anorexia caused by lifestyle. For example, as the environment considered slim women are beautiful, women then try to make their body slim even by doing a very strict and unhealthy diet. So, anorexic people (usually women) are those who were once overweight.
Psychological factors also play rules in causing anorexia nervosa. There are several psychological factors that can cause a person to become anorexic. First, the inability to adapt to the changes around her/him, like a breakup, death of parents, and other traumatic experiences. As the manifestations of feeling confused, disappointed or sad, someone will ignore to eat foods. In addition, feeling rejected or abandoned the family also be a trigger factor of anorexia nervosa and bulimia cases. Someone who comes from disharmonious families often tend to blame and punish themselves by refusing to eat and starve.
Anorexia Nervosa and Some Facts about It
Here are some compiled facts about anorexia. Just in case you need to know more about anorexia nervosa.
- The term anorexia means losing your appetite while the nervosa refers to the fact that you lose your appetite because of the emotional side.
- The important sign of anorexia nervosa is fear of having fat body.
- Commonly people divide anorexia nervosa into two types: strict-in-taking-diet anorexics and anorexics who love to eat and take laxative right after having meals.
- Anorexia nervosa mostly comes from unhealthy diet.
- Anorexics refuse to maintain their normal weight. Although already have a normal weights, anorexics think that they are still need to lose more until they get their very-skinny-body.
- Never think that they are slim enough (sometimes even too thin), anorexics will usually check their weight by weighing, measuring various parts of the body, and look critically at their body in the mirror.
- Women with a very thin body are able in getting amenorrhea, the cessation of the menstrual period.
- The comparison of women with anorexia is 10 times than men with anorexia.
- People suffered from anorexia will easier to be angry, depressed, and worried.
- Anorexics will get their weights lost in an excess number.
- Anorexics often take some diet pills to keep their weight although, in fact, they are more than slim anymore.
- Anorexics will get some physical troubles like anemia, cold, and so on.
- In an advanced stage of anorexia nervosa , anorexics might get heart-defect, osteoporosis, lung-diseases, or even death caused by starving.
- A combine between medical (biological) treatment and psychological counsel are really important to cure anorexia.
- Public figures (especially entertainers) and young girls mostly get anorexia. The reason might because they think that they have to own a good appearance. Since having a slim body is considered as one of beauty standards, then they start go on diet, do the unhealthy one, and trapped in anorexia nervosa.
- The most risky age for a young girl to be suffered from anorexia is at the age of 14 to 18 years old.
- 90 up 95 percents of people suffered from anorexia nervosa are those come from middle and upper classes.
- The degradation of body metabolism is another complications caused by anorexia nervosa.
- A study stated that the ratio of death caused by anorexia is about 2 until 8 percent.
- Children are also potential to suffer from anorexia nervosa. A research done in USA showed that 5 percent of anorexics are children under the age of 12 years old. As a prevention, parents are really suggested to discuss with their children about the anorexia nervosa.